You must have heard about activated charcoal. If not, then your skin is missing out on something great. In the past few years, activated charcoal has become a common ingredient in beauty products. It is one of the best pores cleaner and it is beneficial for your skin in a few other ways too. With the high consumer demands, you will find it in face washes, shampoos, soaps, and scrubs.
It is believed that it can draw bacteria and impurities from the skin; activated charcoal has also become a popular ingredient in face masks, too. Activated charcoal is beneficial for all skin types but it is a game-changer for oily and acne-prone skin.
What is Activated Charcoal?
Activated charcoal is also known as activated carbon. It is a fine black powder that is produced when common charcoal is exposed to high heat. This exposure creates tiny internal spaces or holes in the charcoal, making it highly absorbent and able to trap chemicals and toxins.
The powder is porous and highly absorbent which helps in sucking up the entire gunk clogged in pores. This charcoal is completely different than the charcoal you normally grill with.
Benefits of Activated Charcoal on Your Skin
- Minimizing Pores – The damage of pollution in air is damaging your skin. Dirt and pollution clogged the pores and oil in glands makes it even worse. When activated charcoal is used as face mask then it pulls out the dirt within and makes them appear smaller.
- Deep Cleansing – Activated charcoal provides deep pore cleansing benefits due to its major adsorbing properties. It acts as a glue or magnet to extremely small substances bringing them to surface. Then it does its work. Removes all the debris from your skin and makes it soft and supple. Before buying activated charcoal cleansers make sure it is mentioned there as daily use product as some of them are harsh to skin and cause damage to it as well. (which you definitely do not want)
- Oil Balancing- Irritated with oily skin? Well I can understand what you go through as I also have oily skin. L But, but, we have the solution now. Activated charcoal is the product you need to balance the things out. Using as a face wash, it helps in removing excess oil from the skin and leaves it smooth.
- Gently Exfoliates- With the slightly gritty texture, it becomes the great option for exfoliating. Exfoliation is necessary for removing the build-up gunk and dead skin cells on the surface of the skin which clogs pores, results in acne, blemishes and uneven skin tone. Activated charcoal scrub helps in achieving in even, smooth and supple skin.
- Treat Acne- Acne is caused due to build-up of dead skin, oil, dirt and bacteria that gets trapped in your pores. Acne causing bacteria can trigger pimples. Activated charcoal has antibacterial properties and it is of slight grainy texture helps in exfoliating also.
- Soothes Cuts and Inflammation- Inclusive of all of the benefits of activated charcoal: antibacterial, antifungal, pore-cleansing, impurity-fighting, and exfoliating, your skin gets a brand new canvas to work with. Detoxifying your skin of unwanted debris and reducing congestion means an improvement in radiance and brightness with pores looking oh so tiny.
Being an antidote to poisonous things, activated charcoal can also help in soothing inflammation and cuts.
Generally, these activated charcoal products appear to be safe, although overuse could cause skin dryness, redness, and sensitivity.
Before using a charcoal mask for the first time, it’s a good idea to test the product on a small patch of skin on the inside of your elbow. If you don’t experience any itching or redness within a few hours, then it’s probably safe to use on your skin.